Wash & Care
Once you’ve invested in premium quality denim, it’s important to take proper care of your purchase. This will not only prolong the life of your jeans, but it will help them get better with age and tell a story — your story.
Wearing virgin denim
If you want to create a jaw-dropping wear pattern — and who doesn’t? — it’s important to wear your denim as much as possible in the beginning. All day, every day. Heck, you can even wear them to sleep if you want. Don’t worry; we’ve designed our jeans for long-lasting quality.
Here’s the magic formula: wear your jeans as often as you can, for at least six months before the first wash. This will ensure you have the most beautiful wear effect and unique pattern.
If you need to freshen your denim along the way, either hang them inside out in a steamy bathroom, or use our DENHAM Denim Refresh spray.
How to hand-wash at home
Before you begin the wash, in the name of our holy DENHAM jean god, please double check your bathtub and make sure there are no chemicals or residues in it. The last thing we want is your jeans getting accidentally bleached … don’t say we didn’t warn you!
The 10 steps to washing your denim at home:
- Check your pockets, close the buttons and turn the jeans inside out (this is important for preserving the colour of the denim).
- Fill the bathtub with cold water (or lukewarm at most). Add some gentle soap or a denim wash and let it dissolve.
- Submerge the jeans, lying flat in the water, for 30 to 45 minutes. You may need to add some weights to hold them down. Don’t freak out if the water turns blue! It’s normal that virgin denim will bleed a little, especially on the first wash.
- Once soaked, dip the jeans in and out of the water a few times.
- Remove the jeans from the bath. Drain the dirty water completely and refill the tub with clean, cold water.
- In the meantime, you can lightly brush the fabric (still on the inside) with a gentle brush and a little bit of soap. But don’t use anything too abrasive, and always brush in the direction of the fabric.
- Place the jeans back in the tub and rinse until clean. Refresh the water as many times as needed.
- Once clean, remove the jeans and turn them right-side-out.
- Pull into shape and let them air dry vertically (wise to do this outside, as they’ll drip water for a bit).
- Let them air dry for at least 48 hours. Voila!
Sound like a lot of work? Visit our stores with a DENHAM Service Co. and we’ll hand-wash your jeans for you.
We always advise to hand-wash, but you may opt to machine wash for stretch material and washed denim. Remember that the washing machine can be a rough place for denim, so avoid doing it unless truly necessary.
The 5 steps for machine washing denim at home:
- Close the fly and turn your jeans inside-out. Place in washing machine.
- Add a small amount of gentle detergent for dark colours and wash at 30°C.
- When clean, turn right-side-out and pull into shape by stretching the legs.
- Hang and let air dry vertically.
- We beg you: never put your jeans in a dryer! It will damage the fabric and fade the colour.
Tear & Repair
Excessive wearing will create beautiful lines and fading on your denim, but down the road, it will lead to wear and tear. Don’t worry! This will only bring more character and life to your jean. When signs of serious wear start to appear, visit our in-store Service Co. for custom repairs.